Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Old entries - Hawaii

Lazy days (Friday June 30 2006)
Lazy days magnify

We didn't do a lot yesterday, apart from eating. Boots and Kimo's in Kailua for breakfast for their pancakes with the famous macademia nut sauce. Then a late, late lunch from Well Bento in Manoa - organic, macrobiotic plate lunch. Then dinner out with Thane at the California Pizza Kitchen.

Only 3 more days to go and still a few things to tick off the list - most of them food related - surprise, surprise. Then a little bit of shopping and a bit of packing before we head home late Saturday night (your Sunday).

Long time no blog (Thursday June 29 2006)

So I haven't posted an entry for a while. Julian and I went to the Big Island for four days which was a lot of fun. The landscape is really different and it was pretty hot.

We got back to Honolulu on Monday night. Yesterday we went to the North Shore and did a bit of swimming, and some shrimp eating.

I'll put some more photos up soon.

Another hot 30 degree day (Thursday June 22 2006)
Another hot 30 degree day magnify

Today was another hot day. I had my meeting for work today, but this afternoon we went to Lanikai to go swimming (picture above). It was fun and the water was warm. The only problem was the little stingy things floating around that you had to watch out for.

We also had shaved ice at Island Snow in Kailua. Then a great dinner at Tokkuri tei - a Japanese restaurant in Honolulu. And a little poker to top the night off.

Yet more eating (Thursday June 22 2006)
Yet more eating magnify

I've given up trying to not make the Hawaii blog about food. Yesterday we drove to Waipahu to go to the Poke Stop to eat. The place is owned by the chef who we saw doing a cooking demonstration last week and we wanted to try it. It was really good - the fish was so fresh and everything was really tasty.

Last night we went to the Sheraton to hear Pa'ahana play - it was really fun. Then we stopped off at Liliha Bakery for dinner on the way home. You can sit at the counter and eat and they grill right in front of you - it was sooooooo good. Its open 24 hours a day - a 24 hour bakery - thats genius.

I have my meeting today and Julian and Kaipo are off to golf. We might try to get a swim in as well - its been really hot the last couple of days.

More eating and shopping (Tuesday June 20 2006)

More eating and shoppingmagnify

We went back to the Like Like Diner for breakfast - Julian liked that place last time because he could get shrimp curry for breakfast. So he had shrimp curry, and I had waffles with a side of hash browns.

Julian has been having a little trouble with his drinks ordering. He tried to get a can of mango and passionfruit soda the other day, and ended up with a container of pickled mango. Today he ordered papaya juice, and he got the fresh papaya in the photo - which was really yummy but not what he expected.

We went shopping after eating - Ross for Julian and Tower records to pick up some cds. Now we're just chillin' at home - Julian is having a siesta and I'm going to watch some DVDs. All this relaxing is tough but someone's got to do it. Oh yeah, and I drove Kaipo's Dodge truck for a little bit on the road - it was fun but strange.

Lazy Sunday (Monday June 19 2006)

Lazy Sunday magnify

Its Sunday today - Father's Day in Hawaii. The plan is to hang out, eat and listen to some music - pretty much our regular daily plan.

Yesterday Julian went out for golf with Thane. I went book shopping at Revolution Books which was cool - I got a lot of good books that its really hard to get in New Zealand.

Last night we had a barbeque with Thane and his friends, and played a little poker which was fun.

Kaips bought us breakfast - manapua, coco puffs, long johns and dim sum - yummmmmm. I'm trying not to make every blog entry about food, but its pretty hard. My weight gain plan is going well - I reached my target in the first 3 days - so now its just maintenance - thank you coco puffs.

This afternoon we're going to listen to Kaipo at the Halekulani Hotel which will be great. They're just playing music now in the lounge, so I'm going to go listen.

Another day in paradise (Saturday June 17 2006)

Another hot day in Hawaii. Yesterday we went to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre. I had a great coffee and a pain au chocolat at the Honolulu Coffee Company made by an Italian barista.

We went to a kitchen store where there was a cooking demonstration of seafood chowder and seafood soup - it was really yummy.

Spent yesterday afternoon just hanging out - Julian and I tried our first musubi (Julian had spam and I had hotdog), and Julian had his first shave ice. No definite plans for today - probably more just hanging out. Its tough - all this relaxing.

And so the overeating begins (Thursday June 15 2006)

The day began at the Original Pancake House (not just any pancake house, the ORIGINAL pancake house). Julian and I both ordered omelettes which were huge. From there it was shopping - a stop at Costco, then a side-trip to Julian's favourite store - Ross - and then a golf store.

I tried coffee at four places - the best was Honolulu Coffee Company. Kaips got me some 100% Kona beans - the peaberry ones - so I'm excited to try that. We're going to listen to some jazz tonight so better go get ready.

Coco puffs, coco puffs, you taste sooooo good (Wednesday 14 June 2006)

Coco puffs, coco puffs, you taste sooooo good magnify

We finally made it to Hawaii this morning, about 50hrs since we left home. Its hot and sunny and worth the mission to get here. We have already crossed three things off my list of stuff to do in the first day - including eating coco puffs from the Liliha Bakery. So far the only definite plan for tomorrow is the Original Pancake House - another thing to cross off the list.


Whats worse than being stuck in Auckland? (Tuesday June 13 2006)

The answer is being stuck in Sydney. I guess I spoke too soon on the last blog about winging our way across the ocean. Today we are actually further away from our destination than we were when we left home yesterday morning.
We have experienced pretty much every possible thing that could go wrong - weather, turbulence, delayed flights, mechanical fault in another plane making us get stuck in a holding pattern, power outages stuffing up airport computers, lost bag, late shuttles - and that was just yesterday.
They delayed our flight yesterday so we didn't make our connection and they rebooked us on flights through Sydney today. So what happened - they delayed our flight this morning, making us miss our connection and we are now stuck in Sydney waiting for another flight to Honolulu.
So maybe the next blog entry will have happy, sunny stories from Hawaii - but I guess we'll see.
Bring on the sunshine (Saturday June 10 2006)

Less than a day to go till we're winging our way across the ocean. I'm a little concerned about the predicted gale force winds for Wellington tomorrow morning but it is Wellington after all. And wind is better than fog. So my next entry will be from somewhere exciting, like the Liliha Bakery or Ross.
Sleep deprived and juiced on caffeine (Friday June 9 2006)

Well, I'm feeling a little sleep deprived from staying up late trying to get everything finished before the trip to Hawaii. Although I'm getting lots done, I'm wary of what happens if I get too sleep deprived and drink too much caffeine (I'm sure everyone remembers the February incident). At least I know I'll get sleep on the plane - because the movies look really bad - Pink Panther, King Kong and the dog movie with Jason Biggs (my celebrity lookalike).

Its not so cold today - there was a frost but not like the one on Tuesday. Although its certainly no 87 degrees farenheit, the predicted temperature for Honolulu tomorrow and also the temperature at which butter melts (31 degrees celsius). I must remember to test that out while I am there....mmmm....butter........

Goodbye coats and scarves, Hello coco puffs (Saturday May 20 2006)

yay Hawaii - we have booked our tickets and leave in three weeks. I can't wait - I'm so excited. I've made a list of things that I want to do over there and most of them are related to food. We will be there for the Taste of Honolulu food show too - which should be fun.

Goodbye coats and scarves, Hello coco puffs magnify
Julian worked the food show in Wellington last week. He managed to get a cake for mum for Mother's Day from the people doing the cake decorating competition. It was a pink baby cake with an elephant on the top - impressive but a little confusing for the other people in the restaurant I think.

No comments: